Grab your dancing shoes, put on your red lipstick and travel back in time to the 1940s. Live music, swing dancing, classic cars, vintage airplanes, World War II veterans and a Holocaust survivor highlight 1940s Day August 12. As Union Terminal continues its full structural restoration, 1940s Day is back at historic Lunken Airport, another classic Art Deco building.
This year’s 1940s Day includes:
- A panel of World War II veterans sharing tales from their time serving halfway around the globe. Moderated by Honor Flight.
- A Holocaust survivor, Dr. Al Miller, will be sharing stories of sacrifice and survival. Presented by the Center for Holocaust and Humanity Education.
- Admire the sleek lines and polished chrome of vintage cars from the 1920s, 30s and 40s during the classic car show. (Weather permitting)
- A collection of vintage planes from the Cincinnati Warbirds parked on the tarmac will inspire the young aviator in all guests. (Weather permitting)
- Live music from the P&G Big Band, Daniel Bennett and the Dirty Shirleys and the Queen City Sisters will have you dancing the jitterbug all day.
- If you need dance lessons, the Flying Cloud Academy of Vintage Dance will be ready to show you how to hop, swing and jive on the dancefloor.
- Live demonstrations on how to perfect your vintage makeup or hairdo will help you look the part, just in time for you to enter our 1940s Day costume contest!
- Casablanca Vintage Clothing
- Friends of the Public Library of Cincinnati & Hamilton County
- Media Heritage
- WMKV 89.3 FM Radio
- Center for Holocaust and Humanity Education
- Greater Cincinnati Chapter of Tuskegee Airmen
- USO chapter of Central and Southern Ohio
- Butler County Warbirds
- Agalamesis Ice Cream
- Honor Flight
- Queen City Victory Dames
- Lunken Airport Aviation Museum
- Greater Cincinnati Red Cross
- General Cable
10 a.m. to 10:15 a.m.: Opening Ceremonies on the tarmac, including Flags with the Lunken Cadet Squadron, National Anthem with Honor Flight and Allan Howey on the trumpet
10 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Old Control Tower open for viewing
10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.: WWII Veterans Panel in the performance tent
11 a.m.: Cincinnati Heritage Programs Tour of Lunken Airport, beginning in the terminal lobby
11:15 a.m. to 11:45 a.m.: Allan Howey in the performance tent
noon to 12:45 p.m.: Dr. Al Miller, a Holocaust Survivor, will speak in the performance tent
1 p.m.: Cincinnati Heritage Programs Tour of Lunken Airport, beginning in terminal lobby
1 p.m. to 4 p.m.: P&G Big Band and Flying Cloud dancers
1 p.m. to 1:45 p.m.: The Queen City Sisters
2 p.m. to 3 p.m.: Costume Contest in the performance tent
3 p.m.: Cincinnati Heritage Program Tour of Lunken Airport, beginning in terminal lobby
3:15 p.m. to 4 p.m.: The Dirty Shirleys
4 p.m. to 4:45 p.m.: The Sugar Pills
3 p.m. to 5 p.m.: Vintage Beauties (Flamingo Airlines)